Family Services of Metro Orlando, a private, non-profit organization dedicated to empowering communities to create possibilities for children and families, announces three new board members.
On Friday, June 18, 2010, the Family Services Board of Directors passed the vote for Stephanie Batista of Orange County, Nancy Ellis of Osceola County, and Ronald Edwards Jr. of Orange County to be added as the three newest board members.
Stephanie Batista is currently a Senior Vice President, Finance for Tavistock Group, a global private investment company. She has previously worked for CNL Hotels & Resorts, Inc. Batista, an Orlando resident, also volunteers with Christ Church of Orlando and the Salvation Army. “The areas of need served by Family Services are ones close to my heart,” said Batista. “If I can have an impact in any capacity in an organization with this mission, I know I am doing exactly what I am meant to be doing.”
Nancy Ellis is currently Medicare Benefit Consultant for Wellcare Health Plans, Inc. She has previously worked for Aflac Insurance. Ellis, a Kissimmee resident, serves on the Hispanic Business Council of Kissimmee Chamber of Commerce and has served on the Board of Directors for the Early Learning Coalition of Osceola County. She has also volunteered as the executive secretary of the Cultural Center of Puerto Rico. “Our children are our future,” said Ellis. “We need to nurture them and guide them.”
Ronald Edwards Jr. is currently an attorney with Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor, & Reed, P.A. Edwards received his Juris Doctor from the University of Florida Levin College of Law in 2007. He volunteers as the vice-president of the Orlando chapter of the Christian Legal Society. Edwards, an Orlando resident, is an active volunteer with First Baptist Church of Winter Garden. “I have a desire to help children in need,” said Edwards. “Particularly those in need of a family.”
Throughout their three-year terms, members of the voluntary board of directors oversee the governance and strategic development of the organization, as well as assist with fund development efforts. Board members will be responsible for helping to build and leverage community partnerships to enhance opportunities for those in need in order to further the organization’s goals of improving the lives of children and families in Orange and Osceola counties.
“These three individuals will only add to the quality of governance of our board of directors,” stated Greg Kurth, CEO of Family Services of Metro Orlando. “Not only are our board members highly qualified to govern our organization, they each have a tremendous record of stewardship for our community. We are excited for each new board member to offer a fresh and dynamic perspective toward our vision of creating partnerships to ensure the well-being of our central Florida children.”
In addition, Melinda Tedder of Darden Restaurants was appointed as Secretary of the Board of Directors. Tedder has worked with Darden Restaurants for 18 years. She was the senior financial analyst for Olive Garden finance before managing accounts payable. With her position, Tedder manages the day-to-day operations and monthly close of accounts with Darden. She received both her bachelor of education and M.B.A at the University of Central Florida. Tedder joined the Family Services board in 2009 and previously served on the Board of Directors at the Community Service Center.
See attached for headshots of Ellis, Edwards and Tedder.
Existing Family Services of Metro Orlando board members include:
• Board Chair Grant Lacerte, vice president and general counsel, Kissimmee Utility Authority (Kissimmee, Fla.)
• Board Chair-Elect Valerie Pendergrass, president/owner, The Next Step Coaching and Consulting (Orlando, Fla.)
• Board Treasurer Chirag Bhavsar, executive vice president and CFO, CNLBancshares Inc. (Orlando, Fla.)
• Jay Polachek, city councilman, seat 3 for the City of St. Cloud, Florida (St. Cloud, Fla.)
• Kim Baer, foster parents and child advocate
• Lauren Carmody, associate, Rumberger, Kirk & Caldwell, P.A. (Orlando, Fla.)
• Veenod Chulani, MD, MSEd, director of the Division of Adolescent Medicine and medical director of Teen Xpress, Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children (Orlando, Fla.)
• Randall King, executive director, The Athletic Preparatory Institute (Orlando, Fla.)
• Sarah Lindquist, commercial litigation associate, Zimmerman, Kiser, & Sutcliffe, P.A. (Orlando, Fla.)
• Xiomara “Cee” Rivas, licensed real estate agent, Ray A. Clarke Realty, Inc. (Kissimmee, Fla.)
• Marta Moczó-Santiago, Osceola County community leader (Osceola County, Fla.)
• Erica Slater Thompson, pharmacy director, South Lake Hospital (Orlando, Fla.)
• Greg Mainguth, assest resolution manager, Florida Choice Bank (Orlando, Fla.)
• Dan Stockman, founder and principal, i-Tech Support, Inc. (Maitland, Fla.)
• Melinda Tedder, manager, accounts payable, Darden Restaurants (Orlando, Fla.)